Notifications
Clear all

Please register! If you are registered, please log inagain !

🏳️‍⚧️ ⚤ J. K. Rowling & the Trans Debate ♂♀ 🏳️‍🌈

242 Posts (replies)
11 Users
51 Likes
Posts (replies): 503
(@qpw3141)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @driver8

You are less likely to regret transitioning than having LASIK, prostate cancer surgery, knee replacement surgery, getting a tattoo, or ... having children.

I find that statement absurd.

For two different reasons.

For the first three (LASIK, prostate and knee), the only reason why someone would regret having the surgery is if it left them in a worse state than they were in before, or they found the process extraordinarily traumatic. It's extremely unlikely that they will regret the surgery if the outcome is successful.

For the final two, the commitment required is extremely low, and the process is very easy. 

Transition from one sex to the other requires extreme commitment over a very long period, and is unlikely to be undertaken by anyone who isn't very sure that that is what they want to do.

I agree that it is important to tackle misinformation about transitioning, but it needs to be done in a way that makes sense.

driver8
Posts (replies): 1228
Admin
Topic starter
(@driver8)

Yes, I understand what you mean, but this was posted in direct response to the frequent claims that many trans people regret their transition process, and often go on to de-transition. This narrative is then used to fuel the idea that "it's just a phase, they will grow out of it", when such people push for delays in all forms of teenage trans support till they are older.

The transphobes go on to use emotionally-charged language like irreversibly butchering the body, that will cause regrets later in life (leaving them in a worse state than they were before). But they ignore the fact that all sugeries have risks, and even commonly performed operations are sometimes regretted afterwards.

This is amidst the now completely normalised body dysmorphia for the (usually) teenage girls, who "don't feel feminine enough" and pursue not only lip fillers, but permanent "butchering" operations such as plastic surgery, breast enlargement, and labiaplasty (that can have permanent negative results on function and sensitivity).

So transphobes often demonise the transition process, whilst remaining silent about arguably comparable procedures.

shteve
Posts (replies): 517
(@shteve)
Honorable Member

How are the stats calculated? Is it percentage of cases or literal numerical values? Coz if you have 2 people who transition and 1 regrets it, and 10 people have kids and 2 regret it, you've got twice as many regretting having kids, but 50% of people regretting transitioning. Stats can prove anything.

driver8
Posts (replies): 1228
Admin
Topic starter
(@driver8)

hehe ... cmon @shteve, you're better than that!

And yes, I understand basic stats, and yes - it's obvious you haven't even watched the clip!

Rest assured that it's percentages being discussed, and not simply numbers.

Page 23 / 23